Thursday 28 November 2013

Neo Noir Analysis (Improved Draft)

We watched several neo noir and noted how they both follow and break conventions. We looked at three films, Blade Runner, Red Riding 1974 and Mulholland Drive.


I have created a HTML table for this blog using http://truben.no/latex/table/ and I found this a good way of creating blog friendly lists for comparison. One problem is that there is little way for me to elaborate on the points I am making in further detail. Another is that it is not very visual or aesthetically pleasing and this bothers me.
Conventional Of Film NoirUnconventional Of Film Noir
Swing musicTension building music
ShadowsBright and Vibrant
Femme FatalesHappy Mood
Starts at the endSuperimposition
Urban SettingTwo Femme Fatales
Typical 1940's CostumeCar Crash (High budget SFX)
Red LipstickModern Handgun
Cigarette SmokeSet in LA (Not Chicago or New York)

I have made a mind map for Red Riding 1974 and I found Mind42 an effective way of doing so. I may use this for the future. It does however have the same problem as the HTML table as it does not let me elaborate on detail where needed.

All in all, I found that Neo-Noir is very experimental with different conventions whilst keeping certain aspects(such as narrative and Chiaroscuro). The Iconography is something that seems to remain constantly faithful. 
In my final production, I intend to set it in the 40's, which means I need to focus on iconography. I will also use chiaroscuro and try to use 40's style music. I will also use typical Film Noir characters such as the Femme Fatale and Antihero. I will however be breaking convention by using colour

No comments:

Post a Comment